Welcome to the Patagonia Library – a library founded in 1957 by members of the Patagonia Woman’s Club, who opened for business in a single room – the Cady Hall historic building on Duquesne Avenue.
A campaign for expansion in the 1990′s more than doubled the available space, and made it possible for us to have not only one but two childrens’ rooms, a meeting room, a spacious reading room, as well as a sunlit corridor where computers are constantly humming with action.
On November 5th, 2009, ground was broken for a new library addition, The Mary Rebecca Cady Reading Room. The project was completed in April, 2010, with a grand dedication ceremony. The new room houses the library’s non-fiction book collection, is furnished with comfortable seating, and also has a movie screen. This project doubled our reading room and stack space! It was graciously funded by John Henry Kendall, the grandson of early Arizona pioneer, soldier and builder of the Patagonia Hotel John Henry Cady. Mary Rebecca was John Henry Cady’s daughter and our donor’s mother.
The Library is a true community center, where childrens’ programs, meetings, workshops, classes and discussions involve the widest range of residents and visitors.
Today the library is supported by funds from the Town of Patagonia, the County general fund, and the Friends of Patagonia Library.
The Friends of Patagonia Library is an independent, non-profit organization whose mission is to support and expand a community of readers and to stimulate a love of books and learning. Our organization assists in providing financial support by raising funds and promoting our library to the greater community. One hundred percent of our library’s acquisitions and collections are funded by the Friends, so every donation you make goes to developing the library’s collections.
- Jan Herron, President
- Lou Schatz
- Janet Winans
- Ken Ludwig
- Tom Bartholomeaux
- Cynthia Matus-Morriss
- Sue Archibald